Thursday, March 06, 2014

2 girls

Today's disconcerting moment: found myself lying on some grass under a tree, paging through an impulse-checkout (Redeployment.) Two girls came over and, in a friendly and not entirely offputting way, asked my name & introduced themselves to me. Then they asked if they could sit down and talk to me. I said, I don't know, is this about religion? I said I was not interested in talking about religion. And they said, actually, we're not so into religion ourselves, but we would like to talk about the lord. But I said I didn't want to, and they said "fair enough," and left. We wished each other a good day. I felt a little unsettled, as if I'd been rude, even though they came up to me and interrupted my reading. Would an interesting conversation have been possible? "What do you think of the goddess?" Or they might've had their own interesting perspectives on "the lord." Maybe I should have... However, I was not at church. I was reading a book about war, written by a veteran. The juxtaposition was a little too weird. Which is, of course, why I'm thinking about it now...

No comments: