Friday, September 07, 2007

Getting my "land legs" back...

Today I walked around beautiful, sunny Green Spring Gardens (no good pictures, just as well, keeps it less crowded for the rest of us!) slowly at first, then a bit more swiftly, with looong breaks of lying down (not sitting) on cool green grass underneath sheltering trees, because after all, what else are parks for? Ah...back therapy...Also heard Junot Diaz read from his novel while standing and/or walking around Borders' music section (because its far more comfortable than sitting is right now). When I was a T.A., one of my classes read his story, "How to Date a Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie." I found a reading of it here at about 34:02. It comes after an introduction about the history of "How To" books and then a rather long story about giving a woman driving lessons around Chicago...Hmmm, I just read in Wikipedia that the author was stunned when he was accepted at a certain school because his then-girlfriend applied there for him. That reminds me of a story a Moroccan guy at work told me. His then-girlfriend entered him into the lottery, without him knowing, and so he came to the U.S. She did not. How many of those stories are there out there? Are there any where the boyfriend did that for a girlfriend? C'est la vie... Speaking of French...FouxDaFaFa Some of my friends at work think these New Zealand guys' songs (like Business Time) are funny...yeah, maybe... ;-)

No comments: