Tuesday, June 25, 2024

I feel like onion pie was more popular in a different era, back when some people had fewer legal rights.

"The first year in the Hausbesorger's apartment was a bad one. I couldn't get used to our new way of life, and I was terribly ashamed of being poor. 

I had previously hated school, but now I was anxious to go each morning because it got me away from home. I spent most weekends at the Jensens' apartment. But my happiest escape from the situation at home was going to the Opera everyday. 

Often, when I got there, I leaned hard against the heavy side door of the Opera House to close it as quickly as I could, to shut out the world outside, a world I no longer liked.

I didn't think that, except for Uncle Otto, anyone at the Opera knew that I had become as the Viennese call it 'a Hausbesorger's Daughter.' The term had all the unfair implications that a racial slur has in America."

From page 83 of Hausbesorger's Daughter, I mean, As The Waltz was Ending by Emma Macalik Butterworth

πŸŽΆπŸ§…πŸ½️πŸ«“πŸŒΉπŸŽΆ

"Food That Time Forgot: Onion Pie"

~ Townsend's

https://youtube.com/watch?v=giFtwtU7j9M&si=6S5jsTyd3rUoLpni

🎼πŸͺ†πŸ§½πŸ§Ή⚖️🎡

"Swan Lake🦒🩷 shop coming soon! #mladymercury "

~ @MLadyMercury

https://youtube.com/shorts/qiaw9RPxu4Q?si=QEhXQXpH0T9eBOiH

No comments: