Thursday, March 31, 2022

Very interesting. Happy Holiday.

"As we end National Women’s Month, I offer praise to my mother-in-law, Helen Chavez, who along with her husband Cesar, my wife Anna, and her seven siblings, started the farmworker movement, later joined by Dolores Huerta, who co-founded the National Farm Workers Association with Cesar Chavez. Without Helen Chavez, there would never have been a Cesar Chavez. She was the rock of the movement."

~ Richard Ybarra

"Opinion: Cesar Chavez was my father-in-law and my boss for many years. Here's what he taught me." - The San Diego Union-Tribune

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/commentary/story/2022-03-30/cesar-chavez-farmworker-family

"There is one lingering controversy. In the 1970s, during grape and lettuce strikes, a few Chicano intellectuals began to tell a story of Cesar Chavez being against undocumented workers. I was in a number of these conversations between them. He always said, that unlike him, they did not have a constituency and could afford to be abstract. Since then, a number of Latino intellectuals and detractors have repeated that he had said, 'I am against undocumented workers.' They conveniently left off the rest of his words, 'who break my strikes or are used as strikebreakers. I represent undocumented strikers who don’t want anyone, documented or not, breaking their strike. If my own mother broke my strike, I would be against her.'"

~ Richard Ybarra

No comments: