Saturday, August 28, 2021

TV & criss-crossing topics

SHALL I DARE TRY TO WATCH?

"The Chair"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/how-the-chair-turns-a-beloved-literary-classic-inside-out/ar-AANJSC1

I found out my friend and her kid made it home safely from the horrible storm that's about to hit NOLA, & she also asked if I'd ever watched "The Chair." I told her my frame of mind wasn't especially keen on it because it kind of made me think about women acting like feminists in one context and making excuses for the bad behavior of male tenured colleagues in another. I have enough stress to deal with at the moment, so why invite more into my leisure time? It might be unfair to the show, but that's how I felt about it. But then she mentioned that the woman in the show is a single mom raising a daughter, and that got me thinking about how the choices of TV parents don't seem at all like the parenting we experienced growing up (or, in her case, since she has a kid, the parenting she practices). She thought I should watch it anyway so we can talk about it. Maybe I will...

No comments: