Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Maybe the sit-coms could become more environmentally-oriented too?

"Norgaard was puzzled by what she found: the people of Bygdaby were aware of climate change, yet they appeared untouched by this awareness. There were no signs of political action, not even letters to the newspaper, and no one seemed to be making changes in their behaviour:

What perplexed me was that despite the fact that people were clearly aware of global warming as a phenomenon, everyday life in Bygdaby went on as though it did not exist. Mothers listened to news of unusual flooding as they drove their children to school. Families watched evening news coverage of the failing climate talks in The Hague, then just tuned into American sit-coms.

This was a community directly affected by climate change, and familiar with the facts, yet there was no sense that it knew itself to be in trouble."

D. Hine and Norgaard qtd. in D. Hine

https://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2020/01/23/notes-from-underground-9-crossing-the-threshold/

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 ~~~~~~~~~~

"For Christians, a classic expression of this attitude to reality appears in Paul’s first letter to the church at Corinth, from the chapter on love that gets read at weddings:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Corinthians 13:11–12)

The emphasis is on the partial nature of knowledge: in relation to the ultimate, our understanding is childlike"

~ D. Hine, "Childish Things" https://dougald.nu/childish-things/

~~~~~~

Living in Denial: Climate Change, Emotions, and Everyday Life 
by Kari Marie Norgaard

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10300309-living-in-denial 

No comments: