Thursday, February 05, 2009

NY people (in DC area)

Recently, an old childhood friend from NY contacted me. Tonight, when I was at work, another new person from upstate, like near where I grew up, appeared. And then some NYC guy came by and was behaving in a stereotypically loud fashion, i.e. "I'm from New York, so..." I remember that summer, when I came home from school and had a NY license plate, strangers used to honk at me, and an old guy totally freaked me out while I sat in my car reading a map in a parking lot (at almost midnight!) by knocking on my window and demanding I roll it down so he could give me instructions because "he was from New York, too." (Although, in retrospect, that was kind of funny.) NY people who have just moved here do not think it's that cold, apparently. But I do. Maybe I will furnish the room of poor insulation. What's a measly little space heater after a gigantic car repair bill? I would not be shocked to wake up one day and see ice forming in the water glass on my bedside table. But that hasn't happened yet.

No comments: