Monday, February 09, 2009

Maps. And other stuff.

I was just looking at a corner of this room and it occurred to me that I'm only missing one. Because there's a big map of Asia and two of the U.S. I also have one of Canada, and Alaska, highlighting native linguistic groups. But it is really big and I haven't put it up on the wall. The map I'm looking at is of "Early Indian Tribes, Culture Areas, and Linguistic Stocks." For sale by U.S. Geological Survey in Denver, Colorado or Reston, Virginia. I got them at a map shop in Racine, Wisconsin.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of these Nights by the Eagles. Thoughts of a gas station in Oklahoma! Road trips! Of rainy nights in Seattle & it's environs!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I chopped up vegetables for pea soup and boiled eggs and thought of some of the girls I've known. One went to an inaugural ball in '04 with fake blood splattered on her gown, and found herself saying "unhand me, madam!" to a fellow ball attendee who began to pull on her cape. Her sister was outside trying to wipe tear gas out of her eyes while a woman in an evening gown stood at the window and rubbed her eyes and made a mock pout-y face at her. A girl I used to write letters to now lives and works in Australia and has written a novel. Listened to Phantom of the Opera (she used to scream during a rendition of it in band class) and Bittersweet Symphony.
-------------------------------------------------------
Had a brief thought about how unlikely it is that you would suspect a friend of, say, putting nails in the tires of your car.
-----------------------------------------------------
To work on being happily not poor, go watch "The Secret."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Rose Wilder Lane. Christine de Pizan.
---------------------------------------
Peru! Cardboard children's books read as a kid in upstate NY! What do these have to do with each other? I dunno, must've been some reason they both came up.
------------------------------------------------------------
Last library book I read: Crazy Loco Love by Victor Villasenor.
"No, wait!" I shouted. Let's just go a little further. I want to see that little, beautiful green valley on the other side of the big mountain!"
"That's Mexico!" he shouted at me.
"What?"
"Mexico! I can't cross the border without a permit!"
"But I don't see any border!" I yelled back...
He laughed all the more. "What did you expect to see, a great big cement border up here in the sky?"
(Page 362.)

No comments: