Saturday, October 05, 2024

People need to eat!

"In Whiteville, the only business near the moldy motel where Haitians resided was a farm advertising its strawberries, likely picked by other migrants. Women cooked over open fires in a parking lot – a sign of just how transient this migrant community was. The chef there asked me, 'Cherie, ki sa ou vle?' (Honey, what do you want?) as she grabbed the vegetable oil.

In Mount Olive, I was served a kitchen-prepared plate of macaroni, rice, beans and meat, and was invited to sit with church congregants. The smells of simmering onions and vegetables in both towns reminded me of my grandmother’s food. I was at home in another part of the country, being fed by Haitian women who help feed us all."

~ Ayanna J. Legros

"'We need ’em worse than they need us’..."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/oct/03/haitian-farm-workers-north-carolina

No comments: