Monday, September 12, 2022

Random bubbling up thought

VOICE: "I hope more will be preparing for a society where the people who are homeless and talking to themselves on street corners could be respected more as the guides they might be seen as in other cultures." 

Yes, I have control over that voice. But have I ever heard voices? I have. But usually only in very specific circumstances. Well, I felt the need to clarify. Because one time recently, I met someone who needs meds (and is grateful for them) who told me their ailment just started out as whispers, and they think that the reason it got worse was from feeling isolated and living in their head so much. And I described what I had experienced and they said "That's schizophrenia." But that's not a constant thing for me, as it became for them. So I'm not so sure.

So, of course, I am not a doctor. And I am so happy for this person to have found a kind doctor, and for them to be receiving the treatment that best helps them at the moment. However. What do you think people will think in another cluster of years about how to treat some of these ailments. REALLY. Isn't everyone on a spectrum?

Now I want to read this:

"How a West African shaman helped my schizophrenic son in a way Western medicine couldn’t"  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/03/24/how-a-west-african-shaman-helped-my-schizophrenic-son-in-a-way-western-medicine-couldnt/

No comments: