Monday, January 25, 2021

An "I can't believe" writing prompt

"I can't believe that might have been the last thing I said"

Ex:

Several years ago, I was mad that an airline employee switched my seat on a long flight from the aisle to one by the window at the last minute. She didn't give me a good explanation, but she wished us all happy holidays. I wanted to say something rude, and I did. I think the tall quiet guy behind me heard it too. What came out was "GO F~~~ YOURSELF." It was probably loud enough to be detected by the employee as the line of passengers passed by her and boarded the plane.

Later, when I sat next to the quiet guy, I was relieved he didn't seem to be too uptight about the  possibility of me crawling over him to use the restroom.

Then the plane made bad noises. I really did not want to die next to that guy. I asked an angel to please get the pilot to safely land the plane.

Turned out the quiet guy (who could also be lightly chatty about his kids and other topics) was also a pilot and even talked to the pilot of the plane about the situation. Ha. But I barely noticed. I was very nervous. The quiet guy didn't like those noises either, so that was something. 

I also thought, "I can't believe that might have been the last thing I said" to the employee of the airline.

Whew, that was a different January.

No comments: