Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Humanity and swimming pools

I felt bad for my neighbor's kid. The guy told a small pool full of people his son is not good at swimming, then told his kid to put on his floaties, but the kid hung back and didn't want to go in.

Yesterday when I went to "lapswim" a kind of shy older guy who hadn't been there before accidentally bumped into a serious and fit older guy who was mad. The shy guy apologized and the fit guy didn't seem to care. A woman offered to trade places and they made nice conversation, but shortly thereafter the shy guy left. For some reason, a couple of times I felt like I almost bumped into the fit older guy (who seemed like a jerk) too, even though I had my own lane. (He got there before me, so I don't know why he didn't claim the lane. Oh wait. Maybe it was because he didn't want to share a lane. )

An older woman seemed hesitant as she stood by the lanes. I was swimming towards her and needed to get out to fix my suit. I asked, "Do you want to share a lane?" She was very nice. I didn't realize that she would, but she helped me fix the bathing suit strap. She swam for a while and waved at me when she left and then I enjoyed a lane to myself for two more laps before it was time to go. I loved that swim.

No comments: