Friday, May 05, 2017

Pattern?

It's truly weird when some people (especially a group of people?) think that if something (or somebody?) is disturbing the status quo, that if you just cast off a person or forget about whatever is/was troublesome, that this will magically fix it all.

See, to me, that doesn't seem like the thing to do...And, more and more, partly because the kinds of things that keep coming up in my studies, that actually seems a lot like what colonizers do to people they oppress. They mistreat people, and then they want to forget about it, and then they try to erase that part in their minds and pretend it never existed or never happened.

Does that actually work?

No...I mean, not really. Perhaps in the short term, but...long term? I don't think so. Even if that person or that situation is gone...if it never got resolved, do you think that situation won't ever come back?

And then I ask myself...Why do some people do that?

I have a guess that some people do that because maybe that's what they had done to them in their childhoods and they never resolved it and then they repeat the pattern. They learned it somewhere or from somebody, usually. It is a behavior that they absorbed from someone or from some situation.

No comments: