Monday, June 08, 2009

Ponderable

It is a life full of opportunities. What ones were missed, which were (good grief, I can't find a word choice for what I want to say..."seized?" oh well, I guess it will do.) And which served the soul most aptly. And which ones does the little optimist within still think are going to reappear someday?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think I know what I might have liked about Thomas Merton. So many people seem need to cover, cover, cover themselves. And I don't feel like that is what he does. He tries to do the opposite, to reveal himself. Even with the religion and censoring of his early years. Even with those things, it is still as if he doesn't cover. Or maybe it is just that it seemed as though he did it in a way I understood. Also, I really felt like he was alive when I read his stuff. I felt like he did not die years ago. It was like he was outdoors and I could see him. He could just be in the other room.

No comments: