Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jessica of the 80s

Jessica and I became friends because all the other girls were mean to her on the bus and made her cry. Girls On Film I was a first grader; they were all third graders. We lived in the same, newly-built apartment complex, where life could be very dull. Jack and Diane Sometimes, the highlight of a long day was to find some construction worker's old beer bottle, fill it with pebbles and water, and smash it. Save A Prayer She was the most deviant girl I'd ever met. I remember her shoving me in front of a construction worker when she was caught almost sneaking into a building. He briefly looked me over and then turned angrily towards her. Maybe he could see a little would-be thief. (Jessica had a habit of breaking into and taking money out of people's cars.) Electric Barberella Jessica had two scary uncles who always had giggling, skinny blond girlfriends. I saw one of her uncles beat her in the street as a punishment for almost running across the road when a car was coming. She told me that once, he had jumped through a glass window. Is There Something I Should Know In the apartment she shared with her mother and uncles, Jessica kissed posters of her "boyfriends" Mickey (Micheal Jackson and Duran Duran) while twisting her body into memorable little snake dance. Union of the Snake But perhaps the most memorable incident involved the time she made me jump off a balcony. When I tried to leave, she actually blocked the way to the staircase. All She Wants Is I must jump, as soon as I went, she would follow me, she promised. Finally, I closed my eyes and gave myself a push...The Reflex and then my butt was on the beautiful grassy ground, my head was swimming, and she was running toward me, saying "Are you okay? I can't believe you really did it!" She helped me off the ground and I followed her back up the stairs. There, I watched my friend, the bully, swing her legs over the edge of the balcony. I Don't Want Your Love She looked down, then at me, and said, "I'm scared. Can you show me how to do it again?" Come Undone

No comments: