Monday, October 23, 2023

Correction: When he...

"My sister decides to reduce the amount of food and treats she gives the cats. Their food and stuff occupied the biggest space in the bags we took, but she says we are not sure how long this situation will go on, and we need to keep as much left as possible.

The cats start meowing and going to the bag trying to fetch a treat. At first, she refuses to give them anything, but then she caves in and gives them the treats."

~ Ziad in Gaza

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/oct/23/gaza-diary-part-seven-i-am-weak-i-am-vulnerable-but-i-want-to-live

"10pm I lie on the couch to count my blessings for the day. I remember that my cat jumped over my belly and started purring; Ahmad told me that a shop owner is selling products at lower prices for those who evacuated because he wants to help; I saw a short video of Gazan children swimming in the sea; and – oh, I am still alive."

~ Ziad in Gaza

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/oct/23/gaza-diary-part-seven-i-am-weak-i-am-vulnerable-but-i-want-to-live

"Saturday 21 October

8am The explosion this morning was so hard that I literally felt my body rise above the couch I was lying on.

The targeted house was metres away. I wake up, terrified, trying to get the cats with my sister, but this time I can’t. There is such a loud buzzing and ringing in my ears that I can’t focus. I can’t balance either.

My sister gets the cats, and we sit on the couches, as usual, waiting for a cue to move. Minutes later, she opens the door of the balcony, we can’t see anything for dust. Later, Ahmad goes to check and see what is happening. Ahmad – enthusiastic, positive Ahmad – comes back covering his body with his own hands, as if he is trying to hug himself. He looks lost … he is scared."

~ Ziad in Gaza

"Gaza diary part seven: ‘I am weak, I am vulnerable'"

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/oct/23/gaza-diary-part-seven-i-am-weak-i-am-vulnerable-but-i-want-to-live

No comments: