Thursday, August 24, 2023

Unfortunately, the change seems to suit the times?

"Are there any specific old songs that changed your life after you discovered them?

There were several Anglo-Celtic ballads that helped me understand that many circumstances of life have changed little over the centuries. There’s a brutal song that I heard when I was a teen-ager. The chorus was [singing] “Beat your drum slowly and play the pipes lowly, / Sound your death march as you bear me along. / Into my grave, throw a handful of roses, / Say there goes the bloomin’ girl to her last home.” I believe it was originally written about a soldier who had died of venereal disease. But the lyrics were changed to be about a young girl who had died tragically from a self-abortion."

Mike Sacks & Natalie Merchant

"Natalie Merchant’s Lost American Songs"

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/natalie-merchants-lost-american-songs

No comments: