Wednesday, August 30, 2023

A Tale of Two Community Members

“After it happened, I talked to my friend about it. I slowly saw the doubt in her eyes forming. ‘What you consider rape, he probably called sex. Why were you having sex during a job interview? No one gets assaulted during an interview,’ she said. It made me uncomfortable, and I started to try and stop my words from coming out as a waterfall. I ended up twisting it in some weird format I didn’t recognise myself. After she left, I threw up several times until I passed out on the bathroom floor.”

BY FAUSIA S. ABDUL

"Survivor Stories: Muslim Women Breaking the Silence"

https://www.amaliah.com/post/67028/survivor-stories-muslim-women-breaking-silence-rape

“It got worse and worse, until I even toyed with the idea of ​​taking my own life. A new friend noticed and said something which saved my life: ‘I am not able to emotionally support you through this, but I care about you. Here is the number of the Frauennotruf (Women’s Hotline) and they will help you in every way they can. They will know what to do.’ I guess she had already realised this was about sexual assault as the line I found out later was specifically dedicated to these kinds of crimes."

BY FAUSIA S. ABDUL

No comments: