Sunday, June 25, 2023

Couldn't go on forever.

"Jacque was in the new school. Though what she told me I found hard to believe: her new schoolmates did not talk about what was happening to the city's Jews -- not the anti-Jewish measures, not the deportations. It was as if we were living in two entirely different worlds. And it was strange to think that with a stroke of a bureaucrat's pen, Jacqueline could take part in all that was forbidden to Ilse and me and our other friends. She could ride a bike again, use a phone in her house, travel by tram and train, not be singled out as inferior with the big mustard-colored star. I found her transition to 'the other side' to be mind-bending. Her uncle and first cousins were deported, but she no longer had to worry that she might be. It was like she inhabited a parallel world. But she was still tied to ours."

~ Hannah Pick Goslar, My Friend Anne Frank, page 114

No comments: