Monday, January 23, 2023

And Vibrance...

"The 'vibrancy' of this sacred music inspired Chavez to later incorporate it into his organizational tactics."

~ Alejandra Molina

"New book spotlights influence of Pentecostalism on California’s Mexican farmworkers" - The Presbyterian Outlook

https://pres-outlook.org/2023/01/new-book-spotlights-influence-of-pentecostalism-on-californias-mexican-farmworkers/

"Chavez recalled in his 1975 autobiography visiting a little church in Madera of a dozen men and women, describing 'more spirit there than when I went to mass where there were two hundred.'

'These people were really committed in their beliefs and this made them sing and clap and participate. I liked that,' he wrote. 'I think that’s where I got the idea of singing at the meetings. That was one of the first things we did when I started the Union. And it was hard for me because I couldn’t carry a tune.'"

~ Alejandra Molina

No comments: