Saturday, August 25, 2018

3 best food service songs for tonight's dishwashing duties

1) Tears for Fears ~ Sowing the Seeds of Love

The healingest song that ever came on at work when I was a 30-something hostess during el economic crisis. One day I was like...I'm having a horrible time next this bar and I feel poor and desperate and stuck and surrounded by smoke and unhappy men and macho B.S., but this song...this song is good...

2) Natalie Imbruglia - Torn

This one constantly played when I worked in a college cafeteria. It wasn't my favorite. It was on way too much. But it's forever associated in my with activities like working behind the hot potato bar or refilling the cereal dispensers while fantasizing about / scheming up ways to save up enough money to fly back to Peru...

3) Wallflowers ~ One Head Light

At my first restaurant job when I was only 19, I worked with a fellow server who seemed like Mr. Handsome Blond All American and (in my superficial, non-psychic prejudgment) had no problems. But I was wrong.  He was a whole lot deeper than that, and had actually had some similar problems as what my sister was going through, and someone close to him had died of suicide. I think maybe he was interested in psychology? He would have made a good psychologist. We became better friends and he went out to dinner with my sister and I and he was so, so nice to her. I was really grateful and felt less alone because I got to know him better. Craig. It's huge a bummer I forgot his last name. I remember at the time that he liked that Wallflowers song.

I still like it.

No comments: