Thursday, January 28, 2016

the walk

Cynical on the way in...stopped 2 x to go the bathroom...both times, 2 or 3 dudes talking to each other stopped and silently watched. I'm sorry, I didn't know my entrance would be so fascinating. What the hell were you talking about that made you have to shut up when my presence appeared, vaginas? Trudged and worried about the dark and made up a small negative song (to the tune of "I'm a Lumberjack") about gender dynamics in Hollywood: "I'm a chauvinist and I'm okay, I work all night and earn karma all day, society doesn't expect more so why should I change? I'm a chauvinist, I'll still get paid." Also, each time that thing happened with the guys, I had serious thoughts about turning back. But I kept going. I said, if I can just get there by 4:30, it won't be too dark to walk back. I was passing groups of girls and they were friendly. "Hi!" they said. Truth. All girls. Young. Passed a final group of girls and then...rocks and white cliff-face and waterfall. It was quiet and pristine. It was my first view of these particular falls, and I had the place all to myself. I breathed in cleansing ions for about ten minutes then headed back. Mood on the way out: very good. I stopped at a cabin and talked to a man and a woman about the area. He gave me a lot of helpful suggestions. I only passed a few people on the way back and they all looked happy. I was slow and took pictures of my surroundings. I didn't feel perfect, but I felt much better. Don't forget the power of nature walks.

No comments: