Saturday, January 17, 2015

Food thoughts

https://www.pinterest.com/5tampopo/botanical-art/
I couldn't open an artichoke jar. I used butter knife and someone else's hands and it still didn't work. I put some water on to boil. I was thinking about plants. I have had decaying plants that I haven't tossed because I am too lazy or enjoy studying their decay. For example, the old squash vines look like spinal columns. But two neglected tomato plants each put out a fruit after some winter rains came. The climate in this part of the country can be amazing. First, the Bush tomato plant had a fruit. Then I noticed the other one, the Paul Robeson heirloom, also has a little tomato and some yellow flowers. The landscaper guy asked me if I wanted him to trim it, but I said no. When I came back later, I found that he'd pulled out the Bush tomato for some reason. It was just starting to get a little pink. I went to move the plant back and the tomato fell right off. That's it. The whole plant looks like it's dying. Well, maybe not. There's still a lot of green leaves on it. The heirloom is not. I was thinking about this, thinking "Paul the fussy heirloom wins," as I wandered into the kitchen, and the lid of the artichoke jar came right off.

~~~~

On a perhaps less edible note (even though maybe it can be made into tea ?) the camellia bush has many buds but zero flowers on top of it or anywhere else. However, on the bottom left hand side, where you have to crouch down and really look at them, there are three big pink blooms clustered together, and a fourth bloom just fell off. Nature can be quirky...

www.gopixpic.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, Paul-the-fussy, completely neglected heirloom, looking all dead on the bottom, has two tomatoes and lots of yellow flowers on top. Go, Paul?

No comments: