Saturday, October 11, 2014

Goddess-y or not so much....

I went to look up some mythical figures, recently. I did it after I went on a binge of watching comedy sketches. I did it after watching a comedy sketch called Pretentious Hotel. I know ppl say "don't read the comments," but unfortunately I did, and they reminded me of this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/10/the-unsafety-net-how-social-media-turned-against-women/381261/   I did not originally find that one on my own. I found it because a man turned to me and with a sick look on his face, said, "I am ashamed of my gender." (What? Why? He has no need to be! He is such a good guy!) He told me what he had been reading. I tried to be optimistic with both of us. I told him of survivor stories I'd read recently, of people who have made strives to reclaim mental health and have a positive outlooks on life. I told him he can't let it get him down. It was nice to be in this position. That is, in the position of the one trying to cheer someone else up, and not in the position of the one who is traumatized and losing her mind...anyways, we got through it. The days went by, and then yesterday he recommended I watch some funny stuff and I did, and then I started clicking around on other funny stuff, and that's how I wound up searching for something I thought might exist called a "Helen of Troy complex" (I still wonder if HD was critiquing it). The man I know who was traumatized by the article looked up some baseball stats and started to feel better. That's cool. It's not the same as what I would do, but at least there's something. I don't believe anyone should walk around feeling bad about who or what they were born as. Helen of Troy complex is just named as being a structure for softball, but Cassandra is the one who has the complex. Several of them, actually...

No comments: