Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Thoughts of traveling

"
http://tropdamour.co.za/tag/travelling-dreams/

A part of me LOVES traveling. LOVES it.

And then there's the other part.


"It’s not for the fainthearted. It’s for the Joan of Arcs, the warrior goddesses, the Valkyries."

"Of course, I’ve had my share of danger, of close calls, of almosts, while traveling solo. There was time I was locked in a Honduran border patrol office and the official took off his clothes, telling me that he was going to rape me. And the time I was on a crowded Calcutta street and a group of men groped me. And the time a Colombian taxi driver refused to let me out of his cab and drove me around for hours, talking dirty to me. And the time I discovered my hotel room in Bangladesh was full of peepholes and I had been watched for months. And the time an Englishman, the husband of a dear friend, offered to take me on a day tour of London and instead took me to a hotel and held my wrists so tight he bruised..."

http://www.alternet.org/gender/after-i-was-raped-i-couldnt-even-leave-house-now-i-travel-world-solo


The part that says, maybe one of the privileges of being an anxiety-riddled poor who doesn't travel much is that you don't have to live up to certain  "bravery" stories.

~~~~

Another fun activity is slightly changing the words to the The All By Myself  in Las Vegas Airport video:

All by myself
just wanna be
all by myself...

~~~~

But that aside...

"Only about half the country takes as much as one flight a year; I’m willing to bet that virtually every U.S. citizen gets in a passenger car at least once per annum. And while most of those car trips are the business of everyday life -- getting to work, procuring food, etc. -- most of those flights are either vacations, or elite workers flitting to conferences and business meetings.

Those trips are simultaneously less necessary and more carbon intensive; almost eight times as many passenger miles are traveled by car as by plane, but passenger car travel only accounts for 3 to 4 times as much greenhouse gas emission. Moreover, while we may eventually wean cars off of gasoline, air travel will, I’m told, pretty much always require hydrocarbons; nothing else can contain so much energy in so little weight, which means they’re the only way to get the plane off the ground. Air travel is not only bad for the environment now, but also will be bad for the environment 30 years from now."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-12/air-travel-is-worse-than-a-hummer-with-wings.html



No comments: