Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sports

I just watched a somewhat old clip about Images of the Female Athlete in the media. In the comments below, one person said "Women are sexy deal with it." So maybe the problem is that we are just too immature about women's sexuality? After all, there is also this clip, created by a young woman, about "Hot Female Athletes." However, I just think that it's too easy to push away the issues the first clip addresses by saying things like that or accepting it complacently. Why should women who are athletes be expected to look like a Victoria's Secret ad a disproportionate amount of the time? I was never officially involved in any team sports, myself. But I experienced some enjoyable moments playing basketball and soccer, and sometimes I think that I might have been, if things had been different...
When I was in the rainforest in Peru (a place where women's sexual desirability and "hotness" is certainly at a premium!) I noticed that girls and women were never actually playing soccer, but were always cheering the boys and men on in their community soccer games. However, during more family-focused games of volleyball, the participation of both sexes was usually the norm.

No comments: