Thursday, March 26, 2009

Culinary living in these suburbs

I'm still living a mile away from a 24-hour Korean restaurant, which I like, but don't frequent because it's not in my budget. At a bakery up the street, the buns stuffed with red bean paste have dropped to 99 cents each. That was also the place where I first tried fruit bing soo. The last new thing I tried was a dried persimmon from the Korean supermarket up the street. It was soft and powdery and shaped like a little donut. It had a slightly smokey taste, which vaguely reminded me of a hickory stick. I still have some in my fridge.

Of 2 Peruvian places in this area, I know that one sells pupusas, which are very popular around here, but not Peruvian, I think. I remember in the late 1990s I couldn't find a single Peruvian restaurant when I was living in Seattle. Tomorrow I will drive to work and see, as I do every morning, all the hombres standing on the curbs for day labor work. Last year, I ate ceviche at the Peruvian pupusa-selling place with some friends, and tried to describe a specialty, where they would often sell a little shooter of the ceviche juice by itself. "Oh what was it called, 'leche de tigre!' I think that was what it was called." And a guy came by smiling at us as he lifted our plates and we said it was very good. Later I went back and noticed 'leche de tigre' was on the menu. I thought, was that on there after that day? Or was it already on the menu before that?

No comments: