Friday, April 26, 2024

What brings so-and-so to such a place?

“'Seeing the brutal horrors of the apartheid system firsthand absolutely destroyed me, and destroyed my worldview,' Eddy said.

'Walking through Bethlehem, for instance, there being separate walkways and caged channels for Arab people or people with darker color, and having felt the bullet holes in the walls with these children showing me where their families were killed, like: I don’t get to see that and remain silent.'

Eddy, 24, spent eight days on hunger strike as students at Yale appealed for the university to divest from military manufacturers. They suffered dizziness, mood swings and lost 16lb: 'But still none of this compares to the half-million people who are experiencing starvation in Gaza. I had a roof over my head, I had access to clean water, and I didn’t have to fear about being bombed, or shot, or forcibly removed from my home.'

At least 47 pro-Palestinian protesters were arrested on Yale’s campus, in Connecticut, on Monday, with the university claiming that hundreds of people had violated 'policies and instructions regarding occupying outdoor spaces.'"

~ Adam Gabbat

"Four students on why they’re protesting against war in Gaza"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/26/college-protests-israel-gaza

No comments: