Sunday, January 06, 2019

Nice marshmallow tale

Story from Dr. France Córdova:

"Though I spent the rest of my school years enjoying science, I didn’t have mentors or teachers who encouraged me to pursue it as a career. After I graduated college with an English degree, I saw a public television program about the discovery of neutron stars.

A neutron star’s gravitational pull is so massive that, if it were possible to drop something as light as a marshmallow onto one, it would liberate tons of energy. When I heard MIT Astrophysicist Paul Joss describe the impact of a marshmallow falling onto a neutron star, I was hooked. The next day, I went straight to nearby MIT and asked for a job. A simple confection helped spark my journey into science."

http://nsfdirectorfieldnotes.tumblr.com/post/180519353976/my-stem-spark?is_related_post=1

No comments: