Sunday, January 25, 2009

Radio in the car

So, my CD player in my car needs to be cleaned and I've been listening to the radio more lately, like today, for example, while I "ran some errands" (I remember hearing that expression as a kid and being perplexed, and also the feeling of hassle that came with it. I, however, enjoyed getting things accomplished today.) Maybe the half-dream I woke up in this morning foreshadowed the programs I listened to today. I had some imagery in my head about being in a small room with no light, or just a tiny crack at the top of the ceiling which might let some light in. Just the suggestion was enough to set a certain taste in my mouth, of dread of "solitary confinement." After the jovial end of "Car Talk" and the Bob Edward's show (which featured a book and documentary about Eisenhower and war, among other things) I listened to a Radio Netherlands interview with Omer Goldman and felt, well, kind of spellbound and impressed. It is different from my life thus far. I am friends with some people who have been arrested, tear-gassed, at protests, etc. That does not describe anything that has happened to me, but I am not completely disconnected from activism.

No comments: