Saturday, June 10, 2006

stories, the order of things

My first trip to Peru was made possible via the May Term study abroad program during my sojourn at Mary Baldwin which was where I made up my mind to focus on literature. I remember reading a story called The Guest by Camus, and I was much affected by it. Though I also remember that the professor asked if/pointed out that some of the author's rendering of the facial features of the "Arab" character seemed racist. Also, this was where I first read Meatless Days by Sara Suleri, when I took a course on Asian American Women in Literature, during May Term. At the time I found the language in the book to be rather difficult, and I was not very focused on it. Actually I just started to appreciate that book about one year ago. I like stories about weird grandmothers; my mother's mother was a weird grandmother.
The next May Term I did not take a course on campus. I went to Peru instead, which was absolutely the best thing I did in college.

No comments: